Dental cavities will cost you a lot of money to treat. However, thanks to modern medicine, you can forgo these costs by using dental sealants.
If you are below 18, you can get them. However, as you get into adulthood, they are not recommended for you, and insurance companies will not cover sealants’ costs for adults.
Here are some facts about dental cavities:
- They are a form of tooth decay.
- There is no age limit to cavities.
- Most people don’t know when they have cavities until it’s too late.
- Prevention is the best defense mechanism against cavities.
Sealants are thin acrylic sheets bonded with the rough edges of premolar and molar teeth as prevention against tooth decay. This plastic layer quickly sticks to the grooves of the teeth.
This innovation is necessary for most teenagers because toothbrushes rarely clean all the food from the irregular depressions on the back teeth. Although you brush and floss your teeth regularly, sealants will save you from all that hassle and guarantee long-term protection.
When you go to get sealants, the procedure will be quick and painless. This plastic coat protects the enamel from acids by acting as a physical barrier against the damage.
- The first step of sealant installment is washing the teeth.
- Secondly, the practitioner flashes an acidic solution through the teeth to toughen the teeth grooves for rapid bonding.
- Thirdly, you will hold a cotton ball onto your teeth to dry off any liquids.
- The fourth step is the thin layer of plastic getting placed on each tooth. The acrylic will harden onto your teeth almost immediately. However, you might get a curing lighting procedure to strengthen the bond.
The Benefits of Sealants
Prevention against Tooth Decay
Sealants are armor against cavities when people are most vulnerable between the age of 9 and 14. Cavities are painful and quite common during puberty. Natural permanent teeth do not grow back as milk teeth do after the first shedding, hence the need to protect the God-given ones.
Sealants are safe to use on children under the age of 10 even before they shed their milk teeth. This kind of protection on milk teeth secures the space and structure for the permanent teeth to form. If the roots get damaged before shedding, this will adversely affect the permanent teeth later on.
Generally, replacing teeth with quality prosthetics costs a fortune. Yet decaying teeth removal is mandatory because of the discomfort they cause. However, teeth removal is also not an exciting procedure; this is where sealants come in handy.
Sealants are a shield against cavities, and they work as soon as they get installed. In addition to their protection, this incredible coating is a long-term solution. Ordinary activities such as chewing can continue for years with your sealants on without so much as a chip.
Ease of Application
All procedures involving teeth treatments seem to involve anesthesia because, without it, the pain would be unbearable. For those patients who are allergic to anesthesia or that are against it, sealants are your solution. They are painless and non-intrusive in any shape or form.
The results of getting sealants are breathtakingly efficient. If you need such a procedure, our headquarters are in Alamogordo, New Mexico.